It is late at night, but the life of a blogger never ends. It is time to retweet some of your favorite bloggers, but you are so exhausted! And you cannot remember their username! For crying out loud you follow 15 accounts that start with ‘Mary’! But where is ‘Mary’ the amazing mom blogger who is always so funny? This was me a few months ago before I figured out how to use Twitter list function.
I knew there had to be a better way to find my favorite tweeps, and now I am starting to be an organized Twitter user! After sharing my Twitter Guide for Newbies, I realized may other users would benefit from Twitter list function.
Let me help you become Twitter Organized too!Can't find 'Mary' your favorite hilarious momblogger? It is time to be Twitter Organized!Click To Tweet
What is a Twitter List?
Twitter’s Definition: A list is a curated group of Twitter users. You can create your own lists or subscribe to lists created by others. Viewing a list timeline will show you a stream of Tweets from only the users on that list.
My Simple Definition: An organized view of your favorite Twitter users.
How can I find my Twitter List?
Desktop: Go to your profile > Click List (next to Likes). You may also use https://twitter.com/lists
Twitter App: Go to Me (Profile) > Click Gear (Settings) > Click View List
So now you have located your list… What’s next?
How Can I Create a Twitter List?
- Go to your Lists page.
- Click Create list.
- Enter the name of your list, a short description of the list, and select if you want the list to be private (only accessible to you) or public (anyone can subscribe to the list).
- Click Save list.
What if I want a personal list just for me?
Easy… just make the list private! Why would I want a private Twitter list? This function is used if you want to follow someone, but are not wanting them to know you are following them. This would be great for checking users out before following them publicly, research for work, or just list of your closest friends.Did you know Twitter lists can be Private?Click To Tweet
Desktop view is on left, and right is from Twitter App (iPhone).
Do I have to follow people to add them to my lists?
No! I love this option. It allows me keep track of interesting Twitters Users without following them. Why is this important? After you follow 2,000 users Twitter limits the number you can follow. Most of the time they will allow you to add up to 10% more than follows you.Learn How to Avoid Twitter Jail by using Lists!Click To Tweet
So if you are capped out then add them to your Twitter list. Trust me it very hard to find that account later on.
How to add or remove people from your Twitter list:
- Click the gear icon drop down menu on a user’s profile.
- Select Add or remove from lists. (You don’t need to be following a user to add them to your list.)
- A pop-up will appear displaying your created lists. Check the lists you would like to add the user to, or uncheck the lists you’d like to remove the user from.
- To check to see if the user you wanted to add was successfully included in that list, navigate to the Lists tab on your profile page. Click the desired list, then click Members. The person will appear in the list of members.
How can I find out what lists I’m on?
On your Lists page, click on Member of. This will show you what public lists you are on. You can also subscribe to any public list (You do not need to be on that list.)
How can I share my lists?
To find a list’s URL to share:
- Go to the list you’d like to share.
- Copy the URL that shows up in your browser’s address bar. It will look something like this: https://twitter.com/haleysvintage/lists/mom-bloggers (this is my list for Mom Bloggers)
- Paste the URL into a message to anyone with whom you want to share the list.
To edit or delete lists:
- Go to your profile page.
- Click on the Lists tab.
- You will see lists you’ve created and other people’s lists you follow under Subscribed to.
- Select which list you’d like to edit or delete from the lists you’ve created. Click Edit to update your list details or click Delete to remove the list entirely.
- You cannot add or remove people from your list on this page —you must do that from the profile pages of each individual you wish to add or remove.
So let’s recap!
Twitter list allow you to organize your favorite users in groups. It allows me to keep mom bloggers together or fun DIY bloggers grouped together.
Lists help me quickly read and retweet others.
Lists do not allow me to message or tweet a select group of people.
Lists can be public or private.
You can subscribe to any public list.
You might also enjoy these other posts on social media tips:
How important are hashtags? How many should you use?
New to Twitter? Learn what works for me!
Having trouble finding new hashtags?
Don’t forget to ‘share‘ this to your favorite Pinterest or Stumble Upon boards.
See you next time and thanks for reading,